The original mill was designed by architect E.W. Pugin in 1865 who was known for his Neo-Gothic architecture. The mill was taken over by Rank Hovis, Britains leading flour miller in 1960.
The Bread Factory was given Grade II listed status in 1988 having survived two world wars despite heavy bombings in the area in WWII. Air-raid tunnels are still situated under the mill, dug out to protect mill and office workers.
The new build areas have been carefully designed to complement the existing architecture and character of the mill and the development as a whole has retained the period charm from the original structure.